- Flexible location
- Full-time and continuing
- Competitive salary on offer
Why work with us?
At Deakin you will have access to benefits such as a variety of leave options including generous parental leave and the ability to purchase additional leave; flexible working arrangements to help manage your work-life balance; ongoing learning and development opportunities to grow your career; an inclusive and supportive culture and environment to work in, both online and on campus.
Who are we?
Deakin is a cutting-edge public university in Victoria, revolutionizing education with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and our dynamic online Campus. We're proud to be a progressive and open-minded university, delivering the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world's universities.
With a strong background in and passion for User Experience Design, you will own the complete end-to-end UX process from discovery through until delivery and evaluation. Brining expertise in UX design, user research and UX strategy, you will undertake activities such as wireframing, prototyping, usability testing and journey mapping, whilst working within a cross-functional agile team where you will be the most senior UX practitioner.
This role will also contribute towards the evolution of our Experience Design practice, including our User Insights Repository (Dovetail) and in-house Design System.
Some other things to know about our team and Deakin:
- We encourage a culture of self-improvement through regular design peer review sessions from fellow like-minded Experience Designers.
- We have a growing UX Community, with regular brown bag sessions with members from across the university.
- We often solve problems in both digital and physical environments, with many journeys and experiences traversing both.
- We enjoy the opportunity to work with different parts of the university, ensuring that design problems remain fresh and interesting.
- We work on problems that impact a varied user base, including students, staff and researchers.
- We have dedicated weekly learning time, including access to LinkedIn Learning, O’Reilly and Udemy.
- We run a monthly ‘UX book club’, where we all read a chosen UX-themed book and get together to share insights and learnings.
What we’re looking for
- Experience as a UX Designer in a commercial or education environment, with some runs on the board and preferably at a senior level.
- Experience delivering design projects through ‘end-to-end’, from early problem exploration, research and definition of user needs, through to design, delivery and evaluation.
- Experience producing a range of UX deliverables, such as personas, user journeys, prototypes, wireframes and information architecture.
- Experience evaluating user experience, for example through usability testing and heuristic reviews.
- Experience working within a cross-functional team to represent user needs and deliver solutions that are both useful and usable, whilst balancing design decisions alongside technical and time constraints, as well as business requirements.
- Comfortable presenting design work for review and articulating design rationale.
- Confident in negotiating and engaging influentially in a multi-stakeholder environment to ensure user-centred outcomes remain a focal point of the design process.
- Experience planning and facilitating UX workshops and involving the wider team in the UX process.
- Active team player who is passionate about growing our practice, culture and UX community.
- Proficiency in the use of UX software such as Figma, Dovetail, Lyssna (Usability Hub), UXPressia or other UX related tools.
- Experience designing for inclusion, accessibility and adhering to WCAG 2.1 AA.
Here's how to apply:
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience.
Applicants must also provide a portfolio of work with your application, demonstrating UX process, design and user research skills and outcomes.
For a confidential discussion regarding this role, please contact Tim Randall (Manager, Experience Design) via email email@example.com.
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD - Senior Experience Designer.pdf
Applications for this position close on Sunday, 3rd December 2023.
Make an Impact with Us
Together we aim to take Deakin forward, strengthening our progressive University through the digital work we do. Whether it’s empowering students, enabling teaching staff, or supporting researchers, the work you do here matters. Your achievements contribute to making a positive difference in the lives of the people and communities we serve.
So that you can focus on making a positive impact, Deakin Digital Services lays the foundations for you to be your best self, grow and evolve and join forces with exceptional people.
Be Your Best Self
As a unique individual we understand that showing up as the best version of yourself takes commitment to your personal wellbeing. That’s why we foster a supportive environment where you can manage your work to balance your productivity, engagement and wellbeing. Our approach to flexible working empowers you to achieve your best.
Grow & Evolve
Being in the higher education sector, ours is an environment of knowledge sharing and seeking. With us you can grow your capability through formal and informal learning and continuously improve, deepen and broaden your expertise. With many digital roles and teams under the one umbrella, there’s opportunity to expand your skillset, embrace new challenges and evolve your career. When YOU thrive, WE thrive.
As a member of our dynamic team, you’ll tackle challenges and deliver digital services and solutions alongside supportive, inclusive and talented humans from within the team, and more broadly across the University. We are a powerful collective of diverse skillsets, strengths and experience and our practices promote an environment of collaboration where your unique contribution is welcomed and valued. When you join forces with Digital Services you join forces with Deakin. Visit Why Work at Deakin to view the overarching benefits of working with Deakin.
Are you ready to make an impact with us?
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.