- Based at either our Geelong, Waterfront or Melbourne Burwood Campuses
- Full-time and Fixed Term for 5 years
- An attractive remuneration package to be offered including 17% Superannuation
Why work with us?
At Deakin you will have access to benefits such as a variety of leave options including generous parental leave and the ability to purchase additional leave; flexible working arrangements to help manage your work-life balance; ongoing learning and development opportunities to grow your career; an inclusive and supportive culture and environment to work in, both online and on campus.
Who are we?
Deakin is a cutting-edge public university in Victoria, revolutionizing education with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and our dynamic online Campus. We're proud to be a progressive and open-minded university, delivering the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world's universities.
About People Services
People Services is the operational arm of the People Function. Comprising of four dedicated teams (People Operations, Recruitment Services, People Systems and Reporting and People Connect) we provide first point of contact for HR services to staff at Deakin. Key services include resolving general HR queries, payroll administration, end to end recruitment coordination and maintaining our People system, DeakinPeople. Sitting within the Customer Experience Service Hub, the People Services team partner with People and Culture to deliver a high quality, customer focused service that is reliable and trustworthy. These attributes combined enable us to strive for an efficient and enjoyable experience for our staff.
As the Director, People Services, you will:
Report to the Executive Director, Customer Experience, the Director, People Services is an essential leader in developing and delivering leading practice people service offerings across the University, with a focus on service efficiency, quality and satisfaction.
You will Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of skilled professionals, fostering a collaborative and high-performance work environment. Provide guidance and support to team members in delivering customer-focused services, ensuring their growth and development. In conjunction with your leadership team, you will have a desire to listen to key stakeholders and action work alongside your colleagues in People Services accordingly.
In this position you will oversee the planning, delivery and analysis of customer-focused services, aligned to University strategy and available resources. Lead the team in developing strategies that drive positive outcomes in customer experience of people services.
In a typical week, you will:
- Establish benchmarks for team performance while flexibly managing resource limitations and time constraints. Display flexibility in responding to evolving demands. Foster an environment of continuous learning, encouraging team members by assigning responsibilities and tasks that empower them.
- Lead and motivate team members in resolving conflicts. Collaborate with peers to identify and implement best practice approaches in strategic workforce management.
- Provide clear, constructive, and timely feedback in a manner that encourages learning and facilitates resolution. Grasp the strategic objectives and align activities accordingly, with a focus on long-term consequences.
- Define unambiguous performance standards and offer timely praise and recognition. Address under-performance promptly. Assume personal accountability for meeting objectives and driving progress. Exhibit proactive initiative by stepping in and fulfilling required tasks. Demonstrate unwavering commitment and drive towards goal achievement.
- Operate within the parameters of University objectives and professional standards. Contribute to the People Functions, and the CX Service Hub’s strategic direction and foster a collective sense of purpose by illustrating the integration of strategy components and their contribution to higher-level goals.
- Provide advice to senior leaders, influencing the effectiveness of operations. Monitor the external higher education landscape to inform the continual evolution and relevance of services, systems, and processes.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Extensive experience conceptualising, developing and implementing contemporary solutions, strategies and services to achieve a large organisation’s objectives.
- Experience leading a large operational People function or shared service.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of contemporary relevant discipline practices.
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain strong and productive relationships with internal and external partners and customers.
- Proven ability to exercise judgement, influence others, be flexible and adaptive to environmental changes and priorities, and gain support for new plans, programs or initiatives.
- Highly developed consulting, interpersonal, communication (written and oral) and presentation skills
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical and conceptual thought in the diagnosis of problems and in providing innovative, timely, relevant and practical solutions
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative work teams and proven capability to achieve quality customer service to clients and quality improvement to a wide range of practices and services.
Here's how to apply:
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience.
For a confidential discussion regarding this role, please contact Erin Colegate, Executive Director, Customer Experience at email@example.com
For a copy of the position description, please see below: Position Description_ Director, People Services.pdf
Applications for this position close on Sunday 3 December.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.