- Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus
- Full-time and fixed term until 31/12/2025
- Level AC A $74,024 - $99,512 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
This position is located within the undergraduate major pathways in the undergraduate courses the Bachelor of Health Science (H300) and the Bachelor of Biomedical Science (S323). The appointee will be required to teach and undertake administrative duties in the areas of Medical Biotechnology, and Infection and Immunity. The role encompasses curriculum development and review, planning of the timetables, assessment, and coordination of resources to deliver various subjects within the major pathways.
The appointee will also be responsible for ensuring that all students are provided with authentic learning experiences, to equip them for future careers in medical biotechnology and infectious disease research; and ensure the implementation and compliance with relevant University policies. In association with more senior academic staff, they will contribute to delivering the teaching and learning program for the major pathways in Medical Biotechnology and Infection and Immunity.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Maintain appropriate discipline knowledge
- Integrate industry and clinical practice to teaching and develop effective learning materials and activities demonstrating ongoing innovation in curriculum design
- Work collaboratively as part of a teaching team, with guidance from Unit Chair.
- Conduct self-evaluation practices, constructively review and refine own teaching practice to help maintain teaching quality standards
- Provide clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Constructively contribute to moderation processes and assist in developing effective assessment tasks and rubrics at unit level
- Assist in applying industry, clinical and/or research practice into student learning experiences and resources
- Adapt learning material and practices to support diverse learners
- Demonstrate awareness of student support and services and guides students to them where appropriate
- Demonstrate understanding of and commitment to educational excellence
- Complete professional development programs in Higher Education Learning and Teaching
- Support and assist with teaching scholarship and pedagogical research activity
- Conduct high-quality research and scholarship activities generating high impact outputs, with mentorship
- Engage collaboratively to participate in high-quality research and communicate outputs, including as part of team
- Ensure impact of academic activity on the field and the community
- Begin building body of work and reputation and recognition for quality, excellence and impact
- Participate in intra- and inter-disciplinary research collaborations
- Support and may lead in applications for external competitive and other funding
- Begin to build track record of timely delivery of outcomes for industry partners
- Co-supervise honours to timely outcomes with productive high-quality outcomes
- Develop early career research plan with guidance from mentors and supervisors
- Adopt culture of research excellence, innovation and impact
To be successful, you’ll have:
- PhD in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- emerging research and scholarship through publications, and/or exhibitions as appropriate to the discipline
- ability to make a contribution to communities through research
- capacity to contribute to teaching, research and administration
- excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative curriculum design
- Emerging research and scholarship through publications, and/or exhibitions, as appropriate to the discipline
- Ability to make a contribution to community engagement for research and teaching
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD - Associate Lecturer.pdf
Applications for this position close on 12 February 2023.
- Frequent/Regular/Infrequent travel will be required describe further (e.g., interstate or overseas travel is required or regular travel within Victoria, not including between campuses)
- Drivers Licence
- Working with Children Check (refer to Recruitment Procedure)
- Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Please submit your updated resume and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Sarah Shigdar, Associate Professor, via email@example.com.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.