Coordinator, Safety Systems
Job no: 530808
Work type: Full-time
Location: Geelong - Waurn Ponds, Melbourne - Burwood, Flexible
Categories: Building and Property Services
- Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus or Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time and continuing
- HEW 7 $94,173 - $103,694 + 17% Superannuation
The Infrastructure and Property (IP) team are trained specialists providing facilities management and support across all of Deakin’s campuses and sites. The Coordinator, Safety Systems will coordinate and support the growth of effective Health and Safety governance, training, and advice to ensure Infrastructure and Property (IP) is operating with an effective culture, efficient systems and people processes to address our health and safety performance. Provide local process and frameworks that are in alignment with university policy, regulatory requirements and best practice. Provide advice and support to staff on all OHS related matters including hazard and risk assessment, safety in design, contractor management and incident response and investigation.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Aligning with the university’s Health and Safety Strategy and its safety performance, framework, and systems
- Ensuring Health and Safety technical support and due diligence is provided, seeking out cost effective and innovative solutions to address risks
- Reviewing, monitoring, auditing, and reporting on the operation and practices of the University regarding OHS activities
- Providing information, education, and awareness training to faculty in the practice and benefits of OHS, risk assessment and control
- Distilling the core issues from complex information, drawing accurate conclusions, and condensing complex information and next steps into simple concise terms that others can understand
- Seeking feedback on improvement opportunities from a diverse range of key stakeholders and implementing change through appropriate channels and overcoming obstacles to change
- Developing and implementing practical, accessible solutions based on stakeholder needs
- Striving for excellence and consulting regularly with clients to clarify who requires the information, the purpose for which it is required, criteria for success and where and when advice and recommendation is required
- Communicating with confidence using examples and the most appropriate influencing technique for a given situation to increase understanding and support
- Contributing to the development of safety in design guidelines and providing technical expertise in the planning phase of the University’s built infrastructure projects to identify and minimise potential incidents and hazards relating to the buildings’ designs
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A Degree with at least 4 years subsequent relevant experience; or
- Extensive experience and management expertise in technical or administrative fields; or
- An equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Extensive experience and specialist knowledge or broad knowledge in health and safety practices
- Experience as an OHS Consultant providing OHS advice on a broad range of matters in a complex and diverse work environment
- Appropriate tertiary qualification in Work health and Safety or Human Resources or equivalent
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary OHS legislation and practice including experience in accident investigation, hazard identification, assessment and control in a complex multifaceted organisation
- Qualifications, experience and ability to deliver training programs
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
Coordinator Safety Systems HEW 7.pdf
Applications for this position close on 5 February 2023.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
- Drivers Licence
- Working with Children Check
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Emma Dudley, Senior Manager, Health Safety and Compliance, via firstname.lastname@example.org
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now