Job no: 497792
Work type: Full-time
Location: Flexible, Geelong - City, Melbourne - Burwood
Categories: Information Technology
- Located at Melbourne Burwood Campus or Geelong Waterfront Campus
- Fulltime, Continuing role
- HEW 7 $87,673 + 17% Superannuation
Working within the Deakin eSolutions division, you will work with leaders in technology, who drive digital innovation at Deakin and are transforming the university through future-focused solutions.
Reporting to the Senior Network Engineer, you will have this great opportunity to work with a bunch of talented Network Engineering professionals within the eSolutions team and be responsible for managing and supporting the large and complex network infrastructure and requires detailed knowledge of sophisticated networking systems and protocols.
Deakin University needs someone who breathes security in the network space. You will have outstanding technical expertise in network technologies and increase the security posture of the network and the IOT which uses it. Although you are strong in Cisco network and security skills, you will be able to pick up new concepts quickly, adapting to the ever-changing scope of network security.
Your key responsibilities will include but not limited to;
- ensure the quality of installation, configuration and maintenance of hardware, operating systems and software including updates, patches and security patches to operating systems, software and firmware
- ensure network software and hardware facilities are operating at optimum levels, and any failures are corrected, including troubleshooting, diagnosis and remedy of faults
- provide high-quality support to AVN customers in fault resolution and service request provisioning
- maximise network performance by monitoring performance; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; collaborating with senior network engineers on network optimisation
- work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- secure the network by enforcing policies and defining and monitoring access
- liaise with vendors and other eSolutions staff for problem resolution
- develop and maintain the network environment by designing system configuration; directing system installation; defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards and assisting with the development of network procedures/work instructions
- respond to service request and fault calls resolving the call within agreed service levels
- configure and install various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, VPN, QoS)
To be successful, you’ll have;
- a degree in a computing or related field with subsequent relevant experience or, extensive experience and specialist knowledge in the Networking
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification or industry equivalent
- proven ability to maintain converged network technologies in an enterprise environment, with extensive experience monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools and troubleshooting complex network platforms
- experience in the application of policies, standards and processes for network services
- demonstrated hands-on network engineering experience with a sound understanding of networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS) and the OSI or TCP/IP model
- experience with the supervision of contractors and practical experience with occupational health and safety
- good knowledge of Cisco switching and routing technologies
- proven capability to work positively and effectively as part of a collaborative work team, to accommodate and work well with different working styles and to work independently, where required
- an ability to progress multiple tasks and proactively raise issues and concerns with the supervisor
- demonstrated interpersonal, time management and organisational skills
- ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management or demonstrated ability to work in an ITIL environment
- Experience in a higher education institution and the ICT industry more broadly would be an advantage
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
FINAL PD - Network Engineer.pdf
Applications for this position close on Wednesday 26th February 2020
This role has been identified as having contact with children and requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working With Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend