- Full-time, Continuing based at our Burwood Campus in Melbourne
- Level B $104,619 - $123,739 + 17% Superannuation
- Level C $127,561 - $146,683 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Lecturer / Senior Lecturer, Mathematics is situated in our School of Information Technology in the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment. The School is seeking someone who is passionate about mathematics and about working in a team, with active approaches to learning mathematics and driving high impact research. The appointee will also maintain links and partnerships with relevant academic, industry and professional communities in Mathematics and Computer Science.
The Lecturer will undertake research and teaching as well as publishing in the area of Mathematics and Computer Science. The role will promote the discipline and the School while maintaining links and partnerships with relevant faculty, industry and professional bodies.
The Senior Lecturer will be responsible for providing leadership in research, teaching and engagement in both Mathematics and Computer Science, including integrating industry and research practice into unit and course design. In addition to promoting the School and maintaining links and partnerships with the above, the Senior Lecturer will lead the adoption of new innovation in curriculum design and be actively involved in research, teaching, and service-related activity.
Both levels may interact with other staff within the School and the Faculty, their peers in other universities, both nationally and internationally, and with community, professional and industry organisations. The appointee will liaise with students at all levels.
Your key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Leading teaching teams to develop effective unit curricula and learning resources (including through unit leadership roles)
- Delivering learner-centric, research-informed teaching practices across different levels / modes of delivery
- Providing clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Supporting diverse learners by designing accessible and inclusive unit material and practices
- Conducting high-quality research (initiating, designing and leading where appropriate), and engaging in scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs in the area of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Developing, and increasingly leading, industry partnerships and collaborations to enable major breakthroughs and innovative solutions for future translation into real world impact
Key selection criteria for the Mathematics and Computer Science discipline:
- PhD in a relevant discipline and/or advanced qualifications and experience in the relevant discipline area
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in undergraduate and / or postgraduate programs, including innovative curriculum design
- Research reputation underpinned by publications in quality journals and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research grants
- Engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national standing of the discipline
- Capacity for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues.
For a copy of the Lecturer and Senior Lecturer position descriptions, please see below:
PD - Senior Lecturer Mathematics.pdf
PD - Lecturer Mathematics.pdf
Applications for this opportunity close on 8 January 2023
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
- Infrequent travel will be required describe further (e.g., interstate or overseas travel may be and regular travel within Victoria including between campuses)
- Drivers Licence
- Obtain and maintain a Working with Children Check
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter, and responses to the Key Selection Criteria listed in this advertisement.
For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity, please contact John Yearwood, Head of School, via firstname.lastname@example.org
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.