- Based at our Geelong, Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time, Fixed term (12 months)
- HEW 5 $74,148 - $83,163 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Institute for Intelligent Systems Research and Innovation (IISRI) has been successful in the delivery of numerous industry-based research projects with major national and international organisations. IISRI’s engineering and IT researchers provide robotics, simulation modelling and haptics solutions to clients such as the aerospace, automotive, rail, defence, security, logistics and health industries.
IISRI is currently seeking a Software Engineer to provide technical support to the Institute. You will be responsible for providing analysis and programming support, specifically research and contract programming, technical problem solving, support of user acceptance testing and other general duties associated with applications for development.
The Software Engineer works directly with project leaders in the creation of project proposals, including preparation of project plans, estimation of high-level project timelines, as well as the identification of risks and strategies to mitigate those risks. They will lead code reviews for work performed by other team members on associated projects and champion and lead a topic of focus (e.g. web security) by identifying capability gaps and contributing to the group’s knowledge base.
Initially you will need to be on-site 2 to 3 days per week but there is some flexibility to work from home for part of the time.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Creating practical, simple and accessible solutions to problems after considering multiple perspectives
- Consulting with available sources to gather relevant information and seeking the expertise and advice of other people as appropriate
- Generating new ideas and sharing those ideas with others in the work area to improve process and practice
- Collecting and analysing information and data from a variety of appropriate sources to solve work problems
- Understanding local processes, preparing standard documents, managing records, regularly tracking progress of work tasks and identifying key issues
- Seeking to understand the evolving digital landscape and keep abreast of trends and new technologies
- Engaging in process improvement activities and adopting new ideas, approaches and changes to work practices
- Using knowledge of continuous improvement principles to analyse current processes and practices
- Delivering effective and efficient outcomes and outputs against team and operational work plans
- Taking personal responsibility and show initiative to meeting goals and objectives contributing to an inclusive team environment
To be successful, you’ll have:
- An equivalent combination of training and experience or a Bachelor of Computer Science and Software Engineering or related field
- Experience developing server-side applications using the .Net framework
- Experience working in a structured, collaborative development environment using contemporary project management approaches (e.g. Scrum) and best practice approaches for software engineering, including the use of version control, code reviews, and continuous integration
- Experience using scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby) for building command-line utilities and applications
- Experience in the specification and design of software systems, and the effective communication of requirements, test plans/results
- Fundamental technical skills in the development of cloud-based software systems with a mix of server and client components (mobile and/or web), including, the ability to effectively use object-oriented and procedural programming languages, frameworks, and libraries.
- Sound ability to implement user interface designs based on wireframes and mock-ups and proven ability to deploy and operate systems in production environments.
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD - Software Engineer 528983.pdf
Due to the nature of the organisations we are assisting, the successful candidate will need
- to acquire and maintain a Working with Children Check (refer to Recruitment Procedure)
- a satisfactory National Police Record Check
- Australian citizenship / permanent resident
Applications for this position close on 5 February 2023
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
To arrange a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Michael Johnstone via email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.