- Based at our Burwood Campus, Full-time and Continuing position
- Academic Level B $104,619 + 17% Superannuation
- Academic Level C $127,561 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The School of Information Technology delivers courses in information technology, computer science, data science, artificial intelligence, cyber security and software engineering to provide our graduates with a sound platform for the diverse employment opportunities that will exist in the future. The recent Academic Ranking of World Universities placed Deakin in the top 1 percent worldwide for Computer Science.
The Senior Lecturer, Emerging Technologies will be responsible to undertake research, teaching and publish in the area of Emerging Technology, including virtual augmented reality, digital twins, and smart sensing to improve multi‐modal holistic integration towards Industry 4.0.
At Level B (Lecturer), the appointee will be expected to provide an excellent contribution to the School’s teaching and research programs and develop relationships with research, community, industry and government for enhanced teaching and research outcomes.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Making a significant contribution within the area of Emerging Technologies, focusing on the impact of emerging technologies and innovative approaches and applications across interdisciplinary domains. A specific focus on mixed, augmented, and virtual reality, immersive technologies or experience in Human Computer Interaction is preferred.
- Making a significant contribution to research projects, including internal and external collaboration to enable major breakthroughs in knowledge and understanding and solutions to complex problems in interdisciplinary subdomains
- Contributing to external involvement of students with an innovation focus
- Initiate, design, conduct and may lead in development of industry partnerships and collaboration to enable major breakthroughs, innovative solutions for future translations into real world impacts
- Making a significant contribution to successful development of research programs or partnerships
- Making a significant contribution to the supervision, management and timely completion of HDR students.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline and/or advanced qualifications and experience in the relevant discipline area
- An excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in undergraduate and/or postgraduate programs, including innovative curriculum design and research supervision
- A nationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in quality journals and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research grants
- Positive engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national standing of the discipline
- Demonstrated capacity and passion for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues.
For a copy of the position descriptions, please see below:
Lecturer Emerging Technologies - Level B Position Description.pdf
Senior Lecturer Emerging Technologies - Level C Position Description.pdf
Please submit your resume, and a short cover letter outlining how you meet the essential Selection Criteria, by 24 February 2023.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Richard Dazeley via email@example.com
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.