- Based at our Geelong, Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time and continuing
- HEW 4 $71,159 - $75,429 + 17% Superannuation
Why work with us?
At Deakin you will have access to benefits such as a variety of leave options including generous parental leave and the ability to purchase additional leave; flexible working arrangements to help manage your work-life balance; ongoing learning and development opportunities to grow your career; an inclusive and supportive culture and environment to work in, both online and on campus.
Deakin campuses sit on Wadawurrung, Wurundjeri, and Eastern Maar Countries, and the University acknowledges, values and deeply respects its connection with the Traditional Custodians and Elders past and present of these lands and waterways. Deakin is the most popular university destination in Victoria for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and has a rich history of supporting the ambitions of First Nations students, including through the NIKERI Institute (formerly the Institute of Koorie Education).
About the role
The Student Services Assistant (Travel) works under the supervision of the Team Leader Student Experience to manage the travel of all students attending the NIKERI Institute and the Community Based Delivery (CBD) intensives. This position is part of the student services team that provides high level travel and student logistical support for students at NIKERI Institute and ensures cultural integrity, whilst adhering to policies, procedures and guidelines established by the University and the Commonwealth. The purpose of the position is to maintain reliable service by providing travel arrangements and logistics support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students at NIKERI Institute.
The Student Services Travel role reports to and takes direction from the Team Leader Student Experience and the Institute Manager and co-ordinates all student travel and logistics. The role will work closely with Institute Academic staff and Deakin’s travel provider, CTM.
As a Student Services Support – Travel you will:
- Provide travel arrangements and logistical support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students at NIKERI Institute. Act as a key point of contact to provide advice for NIKERI students on their travel requirements and other support services.
- Maintain the Travel and Accommodation Database by recording all student travel and ensure ongoing validation of data to ensure that the acquittal process complies with the Commonwealth's conditions of the Indigenous Education Program “Away from Base” funding to the University.
- Ensure the travel process complies with Commonwealth grant funding and Deakin University’s travel policies.
- Provide travel and student support to prospective and enrolled students by arranging all travel logistics in the most efficient and cost-effective way, abiding by grant funding guidelines.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Experience, specialist expertise or broad knowledge in travel and logistics or administration
- Desired completion of a Diploma level qualification with relevant work experience or a certificate level qualification with post certificate relevant work experience.
- Substantial knowledge of working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities
- Demonstrated capacity to work within the social, political, and cultural environments of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities and relevant organisations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both individually or as part of a team within the social, political, and cultural environments of Indigenous Australians in a culturally respectful way with groups and individuals within the Institute, the wider University and Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities.
- Infrequent work outside business hours is required.
- Drivers Licence
- Working with Children Check
In line with special measure provisions in Section 12 of the Victorian Equal Opportunity Act (2010), the University will only be accepting applications for this position from people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
Here's how to apply:
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience.
For a confidential discussion regarding this role, please contact Jessamy Gleeson (Associate Director of Teaching and Learning & Senior Lecturer Indigenous Knowledges) via email email@example.com
For a copy of the position description, please see below attached:
Position Description Student Services Assistant - Travel .pdf
Applications for this position close on Friday the 1st of December 2023.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.