- Full-time and continuing
- Burwood / Geelong Campus
- HEW 8 $100,289+ 17% Superannuation
The Automation Engineer is responsible for leading and executing the design, development and delivery of automated DevOps lifecycle management pipelines, which deliver tooling for emergent application development and existing production systems.
With a strong focus on continuous improvement, you will provide strong capability and a methodical approach to experimentation and rapid development and deployment of software. This position requires system infrastructure, networking and sound application knowledge in both a development and operational capacity, and a passion for scripting and coding. There is also an expectation and focus on transferring and building skills across eSolutions through dedicated knowledge transfer, and the development of frameworks, technical documentation, standards and procedures for new technologies, digital solutions and applications that are implemented for the University. Your extensive background in software engineering will enable to you to immediately add value within this important, highly visible position.
A talented communicator with the ability to influence and uplift capabilities across teams, your demonstrated success in similarly large and complex environment will ensure your success in this pivotal role.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the design and development of automated DevOps lifecycle management pipelines to support enterprise-level mobility and digital products, services and solutions across the eSolutions division.
- Providing direction in complex problem-solving, and contributing specialist skills and knowledge to the evaluation and assessment of the ideas, concepts and solutions generated, to help determine value and priority.
- Building and re-engineering process through collaboration, benchmarking and value stream mapping to identify, streamline and automate process.
- Design, develop and iterate ideas, concepts and emergent technologies into innovative digital applications, products or services.
- Supervising the use of DevOps practices throughout the organisation in the form of community of practice, technical expertise, frameworks and best practices.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Postgraduate qualification or progress toward a postgraduate qualification in Computer Science/Information Technology, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with automation and build tools including configuration management, package management, quality assurance automation, distributed version control and release strategies.
- Extensive experience in application development and/or system administration across a variety of platforms, with a strong passion for scripting and continuous improvement in a continuous deployment environment.
- Significant experience with Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) in large enterprise hybrid IT environment.
- Demonstrated high-level written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Experience with system and application monitoring, analytics and alerting packages would be highly desirable.
- Experience in configuration and managing data sources like MySQL, Mongo, Splunk, Elasticsearch, Redis, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience in PHP, Java or SQL development and familiarity with networking technologies such as load balancers, firewalls, DNS, web security policies and methods, caching techniques would be an advantage.
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
Position Description - Automation Engineer - 504465 .pdf
Applications for this position close on Sunday, 1 November 2020.
This role requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working With Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Michael Heley at email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.