Job no: 497446
Work type: Full-time
Location: Geelong - Waurn Ponds
- Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
- One year Full-time, Fixed-term contract (possibility of extension)
- HEW 7 $87,672 + 17% Superannuation
This is a fantastic opportunity working for the Institute for Frontier Materials (IFM) supporting the Institute in its industry engagement initiatives, undertaking research projects activities and developing and commercialising new products and technologies in a variety of core research areas. As a Research Engineer, you will be working across different responsibilities including laboratory testing and testing facility management.
To be successful in this role, you will be hands-on and a team player who enjoys providing advice and support to a range of internal and external collaborators in the Institute having a strong commitment to the external industry. Your strong analytical mindset, high attention to detail and good written and verbal communication skills will ensure you are a valued member of our positive and collaborative team.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Manage the activities, personnel, communications with clients and reports of the National Facility for Pipeline Coating Assessment (NFPCA) including testing activities, equipment maintenance, project timeline and deliveries, warrant OH&S requirements and NATA accreditation requirements.
- Contribute effectively to Future Fuels CRC projects.
- Support research student and final year student projects working in the corrosion and coating labs.
- Participate in the development and/or maintenance of links and partnerships with industry and relevant professional bodies and the community.
- Perform administrative tasks contributing to effectiveness in the Institute operations.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Honours or higher-level degree in materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering or chemical engineering
- Experience with a range of materials characterisation and mechanical testing techniques, in particular, corrosion testing and the testing of polymer coatings (desirable).
- Experience with at least one industry sector that is aligned with IFM’s core research areas, ideally in metals and coatings areas.
- A sound understanding of OHS methodology.
- Proven ability to conduct industry-related research and testing projects.
- Demonstrated organisational and communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to engage with a diverse group of stakeholders representing the University and industry.
- Ability to problem-solve, meet deadlines and work effectively as a member or independently.
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
Research Engineer - PD.pdf
Applications for this position close on Tuesday, 28th of January 2020.
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter matching your skills and experience for this role.
This role has been identified as having contact with children and requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working With Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities – agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people’s lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let’s see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third-party suppliers.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend