The School of Engineering is proud to offer a unique approach to its educational delivery based on a philosophy of Project Oriented Design Based Learning (PODBL) where students experience real-world engineering challenges and deliver creative and novel solutions.
Our Centre for Advanced Design in Engineering Training (CADET) provides some of the best future-focused engineering and design facilities in the University sector. Industry plays a significant role in our direction, and we have significant engagement with organisations such as Barwon Water, AusNet, Ford ISCAR, Vic Roads, Quicksilver, SEW Eurodrive, Thales, Viva Energy and many more.
We are seeking to appoint an Associate Professor of Mechatronics to provide academic and research leadership in the discipline. We want you to promote the School and discipline within relevant corporate, government, industry, academic and professional communities nationally and internationally.
The appointee will contribute to teaching, research and service activities locally and internationally and champion the strategic direction of the School, Faculty, and advance the goals of the University’s Strategic Plan (LIVE the Future).
This is a continuing position based at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus located on the Western edge of Geelong, which features expansive landscaped grounds and extensive facilities.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- a PhD in mechatronics or a related area coupled with experience with leading teams, with a strong international scholarly publication record based on research or practice in Mechatronics and Industry 4.0
- demonstrated ability to lead engagement with industry, and produce significant outcomes
- a successful track-record attracting nationally competitive or industry research funding in Mechatronic or Industry 4.0 domains
- experience in leadership roles in teaching and learning including coordination of courses and curriculum reviews
- a demonstrated ability to contribute to the development of partnerships with professional associations and domestic overseas educational institutions and industry
- Demonstrated ability leading the recruitment, mentorship and development of staff
Your key responsibilities will include:
- recognition as an eminent authority at the national and international levels in research and scholarship, through publication or exhibition in high quality and high impact outlets
- leading major research projects as a chief investigator, including internal and external collaboration to create new insights and opportunities
- teaching across all levels and modes (including for example in the cloud) at national and international levels
- leading the moderation and maintenance of academic standards, and the development of course and unit curriculum that exemplifies Deakin’s curriculum framework, and meets external requirements such as the Higher Education Standards Framework and professional accreditation
- providing innovative leadership towards the implementation of the University’s Strategic Agenda
Deakin University is proud to be recognised as an organisation that offers a friendly, supportive and challenging working environment. Our staff are committed to making a genuine difference to people’s lives through excellence in education and research.
We acknowledge the importance of providing a dynamic and diverse working environment and offer variety in day-to-day roles as well as professional development opportunities to assist staff to grow and progress their careers.
Deakin University staff have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from a diverse range of cultures and professional backgrounds, all of whom share a common interest in lifelong learning.
We value our staff and understand that they are more than just their jobs, that's why we offer benefits that enhance work life. Some of Deakin’s workplace benefits include:
• 17% superannuation
• flexible work arrangements
• discounts with third party suppliers for health insurance, car rentals IT and more
The flexible learning options we provide our students and our diverse team of professionals and academic experts has enabled us to achieve a 5-star rating by the prestigious university ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds. For eight consecutive years, we've achieved the highest level of overall student satisfaction among Victorian universities.
We have a network of campuses, learning centres and research centres across Victoria and corporate offices in Melbourne, China, Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. Our online Cloud campus provides more than 13,000 students with access to state-of-the-art digital tools and direct access to world-renowned academics.
As a Victorian university with a global impact, Deakin is translating its research into commercial outcomes that will help drive innovation for Australia’s economy.
How to apply
For any questions, to obtain a copy of the Information pack containing all key selection criteria, or to submit your application please contact:
Mr Richard Shields (Managing Partner – Robertson Search)
+61 3 8610 6135
All applications MUST address the key selection criteria and provide and cover letter along with your resume outlining your achievements.
PD Level D Mechatronics.pdf
At Deakin we value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. Deakin is an Employer of choice for Gender Equality, a proud member of the SAGE Athena SWAN program seeking gender equity for Women in STEMM, and a bronze award holder in the Australian Workplace Equality Index for LGBTI inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people of all cultures, abilities, sex and genders.