- Three years fixed term role in Geelong Waurn Ponds location
- High level technical and project management solutions
- Commercial building sector experience either client-side or contractor background
Due to the significant growth in infrastructure development required at Deakin, the Infrastructure and Property Group’s (IPG) capital plan has increased to over $750m in value over the next five years with significant growth in major interrelated building, civil, sustainability and services infrastructure projects at our Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus!
This exciting role is based at our Waurn Ponds campus and will be working closely with the General Manager, Major Projects Delivery, Regional within the IPG.
As a successful candidate, you will be responsible for providing high level technical and project management solutions through deliverable project briefs including initial detailed investigation and scoping of planned projects, providing informed and accurate project delivery advice, detailed technical, financial and project methodology inputs to the business case and ultimately take responsibility for the delivery of a portfolio of approved projects.
You will demonstrate experience in technical and people leadership and staff management skills and also the ability to work in a collaborative team culture and manage the concurrent delivery of multiple complex projects.
If you have proven experience in project delivery in a senior management space, preferably from the commercial building sector, either client-side or contractor background, then we would like to hear from you.
Your key responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- contribute to the development of a detailed staged programme of interrelated building, civil, sustainability and services infrastructure projects to support the planned growth of the University particularly at the Waurn Ponds, Waterfront and Warrnambool Campuses
- manage the delivery of a staged programme of interrelated building, civil, sustainability and services infrastructure projects from approved Business Case to operational readiness including the management of associated project budgets and programmes ensuring projects are developed and delivered effectively and efficiently and within approved financial and time parameters
- work with the Infrastructure and Property Group Leadership Team to assist in identifying and forecasting future infrastructure requirements
- provide high level technical and project delivery inputs to comprehensive funding bids and business cases to present to the Deakin Portfolio Board (DPO) to achieve capital works projects fundamental to support the University’s core business
- ensure the timely and effective implementation and delivery of the building, civil, sustainability, services infrastructure projects
- lead, manage and mentor IPG Project Managers and Project staff in the management of End Users and Stakeholders working closely with the Communications and Change Management Teams and in the successful implementation of planned project delivery methodologies and strategies providing detailed technical advice to assist in problem-solving
- lead, manage and provide guidance to IPG Project Managers and Project staff in the selection, procurement, engagement and management of design consultants, contractors and other service providers
“To be successful”, you’ll have
- a Post Graduate qualification in a construction-related discipline (Architecture, Engineering, Quantity Surveying or Project Management, or a combination of a Graduate qualification in a construction-related discipline and extensive, relevant leadership experience in a similar client-side environment
- demonstrated ability to manage complex programmes of work, concurrent projects and a diverse portfolio of projects that extends across project phases from strategic planning to project delivery
- extensive and current working knowledge of the commercial construction industry with significant recent experience at a senior level in project management or commercial construction
- demonstrated ability to determine and implement interrelated project delivery strategies with an in-depth working knowledge of current industry procurement practices and advanced contracting methodologies
- significant recent experience in managing mid-career technical and project staff with a recognised ability to coach and mentor staff
- demonstrated outstanding communication, interpersonal and negotiations skills
- excellent quantitative/numerical, financial management and programming skills
- proven capability to work positively and effectively as part of a collaborative work team and ability to organise and plan, to meet rigid and conflicting demands
- ability to prepare and present to Boards, senior executives in a large complex organisation
- Advanced Leadership training
- Cert IV or higher qualification in Occupational Health and Safety Management
- Relevant and recent experience in preparing and managing Authority Approvals for major projects
- Relevant, recent experience and working knowledge of industry recognised management systems including ISO9001, ISO4801 and ISO14001
- Relevant, recent experience and working knowledge of industry recognised sustainability programmes including Greenstar®, Wells, Passivhaus or LEAD
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
FINAL PD - Senior Manager, Project Delivery .pdf
Applications for this position close on 21st November 2019.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities – agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people’s lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let’s see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits, including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third-party suppliers.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.