Senior Technical Officer, Electrical and Electronics
Job no: 495886
Work type: Full-time
Location: Geelong - Waurn Ponds, Flexible
Categories: Administration, Technical
- Based at Waurn Ponds in the School of Engineering
- Full time, Continuing
- HEW 6 $79,680 + 17% Superannuation
As a Senior Technical Officer, Electrical and Electronics, you will provide a high standard of technical support to the academic, teaching and research programs, in the Electrical engineering discipline of the School of Engineering to ensure that the practical and administrative services are provided in an efficient manner. Additionally, expertise will be provided to research staff and students in the operation of specialised electrical engineering equipment and laboratory safety.
To thrive in the role you will be a creative problem solver with an innovative outlook and ability to identify, analyse solve complex technical problems.
Your key responsibilities will include;
- Provide highly specialised technical services, expertise, and high-level support to staff and students in the electrical and electronic engineering discipline and other disciplines within the School as required. This could include development and design of complex experiments, equipment and procedures for teaching, research and industry, including the use of high-end engineering software and the development of written procedures.
- Proactively ensure that teaching objectives and graduate learning outcomes are achieved by working collaboratively and in consultation with academic staff for the development of practicals for units including project based teaching units and for assistance with laboratory work for/with project students.
- Manage a teaching or research laboratory or a field station including staffing and physical resource allocation and area timetabling, overseeing demonstrators and managing casual staff members through peak periods of student loads as necessary.
- Ensure the equipment is maintained to a safe and high standard by exercising advanced diagnostic skills on sophisticated equipment or systems and liaise with outside service engineers for major repairs. This includes maintaining consumable stock levels for uninterrupted service and supply to our clients.
- Ensure the implementation and compliance of all University policies that relate to the areas for which the position is responsible, in particular those relating to, occupational health and safety, risk management, a safe working environment for all persons involved in the area; including responsibility for managing internal Lab audits, development, and delivery of appropriate laboratory OH&S induction programs and that laboratory equipment is maintained and operated to a safe and high standard.
To be successful, you’ll have;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience or a post-secondary qualification in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Current experience in Electrical and Electronic engineering or related disciplines.
- A high level of knowledge of in the electrical, high voltage and renewable energy engineering laboratories including a broad knowledge of Engineering design and the use of engineering software, such as Matlab, Labview, Simulink or similar and MS-Office
- Demonstrated ability in programming PLC and SCADA systems and working on control systems.
- Demonstrated ability to design and construct customised laboratory equipment.
For a copy of the Position Description .pdf
Applications for this position close on 18th November 2019.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities – agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people’s lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let’s see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third party suppliers.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend