The School of Information Technology is ranked within the top 1% worldwide for Computer Science and provides world class research opportunities through its key research groups. Together with an industry partner we have recently established a joint research lab on Blockchain, Deakin Blockchain Innovation Lab (DBIL). Several opportunities now exist for early career researchers to join the lab.
As Associate Research Fellow, you will play a key role in the development of Blockchain research collaborations between Deakin University and the industry partner. You will make a substantial contribution to managing the relationship between Deakin University and the industry partner, facilitating this collaborative relationship through the coordination of joint research activities in the areas of Blockchain and higher degree research (HDR) supervision. It is also expected that you will contribute to the profile and research reputation of Deakin University, by means including public lectures, seminars, contribution to the public debate and policy formation on key research issues.
These positions are based at the Melbourne Burwood campus, classified at Level A with salary in the range of $67,562-$90,827 p.a + 17% super.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- a PhD (or nearing completion) in a relevant discipline area such as Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Cyber Security or a relevant field
- a sound knowledge of Blockchain in distributed ledger technology, on-chain and off-chain technology and consensus mechanism
- strong research and development experience in either: privacy preservation, cyber security, data analysis, ML, AI, IoT or software development
- demonstrated ability to conduct research in competitive and/or industry projects, relative to opportunity either individually or as part of a research team
- skills in the publication of research journals, conference papers and in the preparation of research manuscripts in high quality outlets, relative to opportunity
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake fundamental and applied research into Blockchain technologies and applications
- engage actively with industry to formulate research problems and to develop a research plan with identified work packages and milestones
- support other members of the DBIL to conduct research, scholarship or creative activity and to develop grant applications together with our industry partners and collaborations
- develop an early career research plan and contribute to building an active national research record including publications in high quality journals and conferences
- develop and maintain links and partnerships with industry and the wider community
- support and assist with the successful application of scholarly and research expertise leading to innovation and invention and the commercialisation of outcomes
- supervise or examine Honours students, or making a contribution to the supervision, management and timely completion of HDR students
Deakin University is proud to be recognised as an organisation that offers a friendly, supportive and challenging working environment. Our staff are committed to making a genuine difference to people’s lives through excellence in education and research.
We acknowledge the importance of providing a dynamic and diverse working environment and offer variety in day-to-day roles as well as professional development opportunities to assist staff to grow and progress their careers.
Deakin University staff have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from a diverse range of cultures and professional backgrounds, all of whom share a common interest in lifelong learning.
We value our staff and understand that they are more than just their jobs, that's why we offer benefits that enhance work life. Some of Deakin’s workplace benefits include:
- 17% superannuation
- flexible work arrangements
discounts with third party suppliers for health insurance, car rentals IT and more
The flexible learning options we provide our students and our diverse team of professionals and academic experts has enabled us to achieve a 5-star rating by the prestigious university ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds. For eight consecutive years, we've achieved the highest level of overall student satisfaction among Victorian universities.
We have a network of campuses, learning centres and research centres across Victoria and corporate offices in Melbourne, China, Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. Our online Cloud campus provides more than 13,000 students with access to state-of-the-art digital tools and direct access to world-renowned academics.
As a Victorian university with a global impact, Deakin is translating its research into commercial outcomes that will help drive innovation for Australia’s economy.
Applications close on Friday December 6th 2019. When applying, please include a cover letter, resume and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
Position Description: FINAL - PD - Associate Research Fellow Blockchain.pdf
At Deakin we value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. We recognise that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and responsibilities. In many cases, academic careers can be put on hold through career breaks or part-time work arrangements to take on caring duties, gain experience in other industries, for medical reasons or other personal circumstances.
Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.